After days of watching and agonizing, we regret to say that out of concern for our guests, staff and vendors, we must cancel Bash for Books 2017.
Hurricane Irma is an unprecedented storm in terms of size and intensity, and Central Florida remains solidly within the forecast cone. Projections from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) show a 70-75% chance of tropical storm force winds in our area by 8 p.m. Saturday night – right in the middle of Bash. Guests leave at 10 p.m.; staff and volunteers leave at midnight; our food and décor vendors are driving home at 2 a.m., all when it’s very possible powerful feeder bands from this huge storm will be passing through.One of our food vendors had already cancelled their participation in the event. Our deadline to make the decision with our other food vendors was this morning at 9 a.m.
All of this is a long way of saying that we have run through all of the scenarios and consulted the experts. Given the decision-making timeline we were working with, we’ve made the difficult choice to not hold the event.
At this point, we are exploring all of our options for what to do next, whether that means a rescheduled event, an online auction or something else entirely. We’ll be in touch soon!
We wish you all peace and safety as you prepare your families, homes and businesses for whatever Hurricane Irma may bring.